As VP, Design at Connected, you will be responsible for managing the overall performance of the Design Guild, supported by the Director of Design. You will work closely with and report to the EVP, Product Development. In this role, you will provide leadership to the Design Guild and drive client relationships and product impact through our research and design efforts. You will also be responsible for building Connected’s reputation as the leading product development firm, and proactively developing product development, leadership and consulting capabilities within Design and across the organization.
Connected is a rapidly growing product development firm located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We partner with the world’s leading organizations to build software-powered products that are enjoyed by millions of users globally. You likely have our clients' apps on your homescreen, their smart products in your home, or wear their devices every day to stay connected. Composed of software engineers, human-centred designers, and product managers, we are on a mission to build better products. Connected is one of CANADA’S TOP SMALL AND MEDIUM EMPLOYERS three years running and one of LINKEDIN’S TOP STARTUPS.
- 10+ years of relevant design and UX experience with a thorough understanding of design methods, tools, and processes used in product development
- 5+ years of design leadership experience, inspiring your team to do the best work of their careers and delivering remarkable product outcomes
- A proven track record of impactful execution on consumer-facing software and/or hardware products working with in-house product teams and startups
- High energy, passion and precision in everything you do
- Theoretical and practical knowledge across domains of design research, service design, user experience design, and user interface design
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally with product and engineering, balancing process and productivity with craft and creative explorations. Emphasis on prototyping, iterative cycles, foundational and generative research, and learning
- Demonstrated ability to use your awesomeness to recruit, onboard, manage and develop world-class design and research team members
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required, with the ability to clearly present to and facilitate workshops with executive-level stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial attitude and comfort with ambiguity
- Drive the vision, strategy, goals, and standards of execution for Connected’s Design Guild
- Refine the Design Guild’s offering by synthesizing ideas, methods, industry themes, new technologies, cultural trends, and developing a deep understanding of Connected’s partners
- Nurture our Design culture, which exemplifies the importance of design and research and the impact it can have on individuals, society and business
- Demonstrate a high level of strategic foresight by identifying customer and business needs, and adjusting departmental and team objectives accordingly
- Build and develop strategic relationships with the senior design and research leaders at our partners and in the community
- Align behaviour internally and externally with Connected’s model for being an industry leader, considering reputation in all interactions, and exemplifying professional behaviour and personal integrity
- Represent Connected’s Design Guild by sharing your thinking through writing and speaking within Connected, at our partners, and with the design community
- Family-friendly environment and parental and maternity leave
- 4 weeks vacation (3 weeks anytime + 1 week during the holidays)
- Generous health benefits, fitness credit, and yoga/meditation in the office every week
- Professional development opportunities and $1,000 education credit
- Strong learning culture with a focus on always getting better
- Our ‘Disconnect’ events are a chance to get out of the office and unwind as a team (like our annual ‘Disconnect’ to Algonquin Park)
- Weekly team socials to have fun and hangout
- Company sponsored recreational sports teams
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks, fresh fruit, drinks, and coffee
- Lunch and learns
- Beautiful modern office conveniently located in downtown Toronto
Connected welcomes applications from all candidates. We especially encourage candidates to apply who are Women, Indigenous, LGBTQ+, People of Colour, candidates in caregiving roles, immigrants, and persons living with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every individual’s contribution to the success of our team, clients, employees and community. We are committed to equal employment opportunities in our recruiting, hiring, employee development and promotion practices.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected] or calling 647-478-7493. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.